Effective October 1, 2015, couples may file a joint petition for divorce, which the Statute has labeled as “non-adversarial dissolution”. A non-adversarial divorce is intended to be a quick and simple procedure for eligible couples to divorce within thirty-five (35) days.
The eligibility requirements are:
- The marriage has broken down irretrievably;
- This marriage is less than eight (8) years;
- Neither party is pregnant, and no children were born to or adopted prior to or during the marriage
- Neither must have an interest in real estate (land);
- The combined fair market value of all property owned by the parties is less than $35,000.00;
- Neither must have a defined pension plan;
- There is no pending bankruptcy petition(s);
- No other divorce action is pending in this or any other state;
- No restraining order or protective order is in effect; and
- Neither must be a recipient of state or local assistance – or benefits under
- Title XIX of the Social Security Act.
I will be accepting qualifying cases on a flat-fee basis. Please contact me for further details.
Joseph E. DePaola, Esq.
97 Washington Avenue
North Haven, CT 06473